Help With Childcare Costs

If you’re working or going back to work, and you’ve got children, you can get financial and practical help with childcare. From tax credits to flexible working arrangements, there’s lots of support available to make your life easier.

Tax credits

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you’re responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but earn low wages, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. If you work and pay for childcare you may also be able to get extra tax credits to help with the costs.
Getting help from your employer
Many employers now offer their employees help to pay for childcare, this can include:

paying you cash to pay for childcare

paying the childcare fees directly

paying the child’s school fees

Should your employer offer any of the above, you will be liable for tax and national insurance contributions on whatever aid is given. There are other types of childcare support your employer could provide however, without you having to pay tax or national insurance contributions. These are:

childcare vouchers

directly contracted childcare

workplace nurseries

Further information from HM Revenue and Customs:
Click this link for more information.